The Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award recognizes women photojournalists with a commitment to shining a light on important stories around the world through brave and compelling work. Please read the eligibility criteria and application guidelines carefully before proceeding to the online nomination form. Candidates for the Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award must:
- Work full-time as journalists; journalism must be a candidate’s primary vocation. Both freelance journalists and those affiliated with media organizations are eligible
- Identify as women
- All nominations must include candidate information, work samples, and a candidate/nomination statement.
- The required work samples are 12 photographs that best represent the scope and style of the candidate’s work, within the context of challenging reporting environments.
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a caption describing the date, place, and situation captured.
- Photos must not be manipulated post-production. Photos must depict accurately the scenes and events captured. Photo collages and illustrations will not be accepted.
- Six (6) of the photos must have been taken within the past two years (2017-2019). The other six can be taken at any time during the candidate’s career.
- Submissions must include a candidate/nomination statement that does not exceed 2 pages. The statement must answer the following questions:
- What stories does the candidate tell through her photos?
- Under what conditions does the candidate work?
- How do the photographs submitted with this nomination capture the scope of the candidate’s work?
- How do the candidate’s career and work reflect the values of Anja Niedringhaus?
- Candidate statements must be written in English, French, or Spanish.